Good oral hygiene and regular visits to the dentist will help you maintain healthy teeth and gums and keep your dentist happy!
Here are some tips to help you look after your teeth:
- Brush at least twice a day. The best time to brush teeth is after meals. Choose a toothbrush with a small head for better access to back teeth. Soft bristles are kinder on your gums.
- Use fluoridated toothpaste. Fluoride helps to harden tooth enamel and reduces your risk of decay.
- Brush thoroughly. Tooth brushing should take between two and three minutes.
- Floss your teeth daily. Use a slow and gentle sawing motion.
- Limit acidic drinks like soft drinks, cordials and fruit juices. Food acids soften tooth material and dissolve the minerals in tooth enamel, causing holes (cavities or caries). In severe cases, teeth may be ‘eaten’ right down to the gum.
- Eat Healthy. The bacteria in our mouth feeds on sugar and starch, so removing as much of it from your diet as possible gives them less fuel to work. Not only does the reduction in sugar help your teeth, it will have overriding health benefits for your entire body. As holistic dentists, we’re very much in favour of that!
- Protect your teeth from injury. Wear a mouthguard or full-face helmet when playing sports.
- Try to save a knocked out tooth. If possible, hold the tooth back in place while you seek immediate dental advice. If this is not possible, wrap the tooth in plastic or place it in milk and seek dental advice immediately.
- Avoid using your teeth for anything other than chewing food. If you use them to crack nuts, remove bottle tops or rip open packaging, you risk chipping or even breaking your teeth.
- See your dentist for regular check-ups. Visiting your dentist on a regular basis for a check-up is an essential part of maintaining oral health. Even with the best dental regimen in the world, sometimes things get missed or slip through the cracks. It’s our job to spot problems before they arise and help you prevent tooth decay and cavities.
About Withers Dental
The Withers Dental in Toowoomba experience aims to deliver confidence and comfort to our patients from start to finish. We understand how much they appreciate a supportive environment, helpful advice, experienced staff and tailored treatment plans.
Withers Dental is a family-owned practice which has been passed down three generations. We are proud to say we have many long-time patients who have enjoyed our high-quality care and expertise since 1940. Our team thrives on patient care and support.
We provide comprehensive dental services including emergency care, family and paediatric dentistry, orthodontics (Invisalign and braces) and full mouth rehabilitation treatments, dental implants, anti-aging injections and dermal fillers and post-treatment maintenance.
Our practice offers the services of three professional and highly experienced dentists – each of whom was hired for their specific skills and patient care – and four skilled hygienists. Our friendly support team is passionate about helping patients achieve the best possible results for their individual needs.
We aim to demystify dentistry. We pride ourselves on going the extra mile to arm our patients with a clear understanding of their treatment options. If you’re looking for a quality dentist in Toowoomba, please call us on (07) 4659 9477.
For more information, view our previous blog post about oral health therapists.